Using NXP TagInfo To Read NFC Tags
The NFC TagInfo application by NXP reads the Meta information and data from contactless RFID and NFC transponders. This allows you to see what technology is enabling your contactless cards. The app helps you explore the various NFC features of your devices and helps you enjoy the technology.
To view the tag information simply open the app and tap the NFC device against your NFC enabled smart device. This will then bring up various different types of information, such as the IC manufacturer, IC type, IC memory size and many more. You should have a play around with the application to see what different chips are inside your favorite contactless devices.
Main Features of NXP’s NFC TagInfo App
- Value checker function for a selected range of public transport systems
- Identify applications contained on cards and tags
- Identify IC types and IC manufacturer
- Extract and analyze NFC data sets (NDEF messages)
- Read out and display the complete tag memory layout
- Supports for all kind of NFC Forum record types (let us know if you find anything missing)
- Explore details around contactless cards, tags and NFC-enabled item in general
- Help mobile developers to detect configuration errors on contactless cards
- Provide an easy and cost effective analysis of contactless card
- Wide range of UI and application configurations
- Creation and sharing of analysis reports
The TagInfo application allows you to browse the content of public transport and payment cards that are based on a contactless technology compatible with NFC in your device.
Some of these applications supported are:
- CLIPPER, all-in-one transit card, San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- Kiev Metro, Kiev, Ukraine
- ORCA, one regional card for all, Puget Sound region, WA, USA
- OV-chipkaart, openbaar vervoer chipkaart (public transport chip card), The Netherlands
- Oyster, electronic ticketing, Greater London area, United Kingdom (some cards don’t support public access)
- Myki, Victoria, Australia
- Moscow Metro, Moscow, Russia
- Nol Silver and Gold Card, Dubai, UAE
- Octopus, Hong Kong, China
- Suica, Super Urban Intelligent Card, Japan
- T:kort, Kolumbuskort, NSB-kort, Ruter Reisekortet, Norway …and more. We are continuously working to enable more card schemes when application owners and system provider provide information on how to access content on their contactless cards.
In addition to its use as value checker TagInfo will identify many additional applications like
- Electronic Identity Documents
- ExpressPay, contactless payment card, American Express
- PayPass, contactless payment card, MasterCard
- payWave, contactless payment card, Visa
- Zip, contactless payment card, Discover Network …and many more.
How to use NXP tagInfo
The application has a quick and full-scan mode. We recommend using the full-scan mode so be sure to switch it within the settings as shown below.
Once Full-scan is enabled, you’ll be asked to tap the tag on your phones NFC reader.
You should now ne able to see the Tag Type (IC Type) and manufacturer (IC Manufacturer).
Back on the “Full Scan” Tab, you will see the NDEF records and blocks that are on the tag. This will show you if the tag allows read & write, block size, protected blocks.
The application settings also contain options to configure the NFC reader mode.
There is also the scan history which keeps records of any previously scanned tags.